All gifted students will accomplish challenging work/force goals and become productive, creative citizens capable of succeeding in their area(s) of strength for the betterment of self and humanity.
Ensure gifted student growth and achievement through systems of support, programming, and advocacy.
At JKL Bahweting Anishnabe PSA, gifted and talented students receive appropriately differentiated instruction from trained teachers that address individual needs. The gifted and talented program has a broad-based representation of students from different ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds with an emphasis on the Anishnabe language and culture. These students have resources and time to maximize their potential as appropriate to their educational needs and talents. In addition, the social-emotional needs of gifted students are recognized and addressed.
It is our goal that gifted students:
- Develop higher level, divergent thinking skills
- Develop creative thinking and problem-solving skills
- Develop research skills as applied to "real world" problems
- Apply critical scientific methods across a variety of concepts and applications
- Use and develop technologies for innovative solutions
- Progress at a rate and pace appropriate to abilities and learning styles
- Develop effective communication skills
- Develop capacity for leadership and collaboration
- Create products that are unique and synthesize major concepts
- Develop self-esteem and self-understanding
- Work with others of similar ability
JKL uses multiple universal screening procedures leading to each student identified as needing additional services to be enrolled in an enrichment pull-out program where students work on personalized learning projects aligned with their interests and aptitudes. We also ensure our gifted students’ needs are met at all points of their week by allowing for ability/skills grouping when appropriate and possible, opportunities for acceleration, capitalizing on students’ interests, offering engaging opportunities during after school programming, and ensuring their social and emotional needs are addressed.